1. Start things. Don’t finish them because these are exercises.
2. Make fun of everything. Be serious about everything. Then try and just go in between.
3. Read a dictionary backwards. Try new things for once.
4. Shake a box and in it have all these suggestions. Never pick one.
5. Read so many books about writing that you can write about writing but nothing else.
6. Go live somewhere.
7. Write in a different language. Don’t know one? Make one up. We’re just trying to get you to use letters here.
8. Staple words together. Paperclip like ideas. Don’t do anything with any of it, but admire the organization.
9. Sit and sit for so long that you get the feeling of writer’s block. This way you can talk about it with conviction.